Sunday, March 9, 2014

#7- Social Media Sabotaging Real Communication

     While looking for a topic for my blog this week, I wasn't sure what I should do. Then I came across this article online (click here to view). It really caught my attention because it actually made me really considering the affects of social media on physical interaction and communication. I can't remember the last time I picked up the phone and called someone other than  my parents or close friends unless I had no other choice. I also thought about how I can never tell when someone I'm texting is really thinking or feeling and even if I see someone's tweet about something I can't tell if they're joking or not.
     In the article I was reading started off with a story about a woman who was texting her daughter and the daughter was saying how good she was doing and sending smiley faces and everything; but that night the daughter attempted suicide. A story similar to this is that of Madison Holleran the night she committed suicide. She was texting her parents and sisters before like nothing was wrong and she even posted an Instagram an hour before she jumped that night. People put up false fronts on the internet or over mobile devices and the only way to tell how someone is really doing is by interacting with people in person, and even then it's hard to tell what's actually wrong.
     The article was from Forbes magazine so it related social media to business but it made a lot of a sense. Business should be done face to face not over technology. In the world today we try to avoid person contact by sticking to our mobile devices to communicate instead but it is hurting us. Social media is actually making our world a less social place which is ironic. We need more emotional connections instead of technological ones. We use social media as a crutch to hide behind and put up a front for everyone to see what we want them to.

No comments:

Post a Comment